2023 Benefit Art Auction
Deadline: October 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM PST
Artist Trust’s open call for art for our Annual Benefit Art Auction returns this year for the first time since 2019! We invite visual and jewelry artists from across Washington State to submit up to three works to be considered for inclusion in our 2023 Auction. Note, this signature event is different than in years past! Work will be on exhibition at AXIS Pioneer Square and online at www.artisttrustauction.org during March 2023, with a public opening celebration held during Pioneer Square’s First Thursday Art Walk on March 2nd, and a ticketed closing event on March 19th.
ABOUT THE AUCTION
The Artist Trust Benefit Art Auction is an annual fundraising event series that brings together artists, community members, collectors, donors, and friends to celebrate and support individual artists of all disciplines working in Washington State. Our 2023 Benefit Art Auction will be a hybrid online and in-person event series from March 2 to 19, 2023 at AXIS Pioneer Square in Seattle. Collectors can bid on work in person or online and donating artists can receive 50% commission on the sale price of their work.
ABOUT ARTIST TRUST
Artist Trust is a nonprofit organization that supports working artists of all disciplines in Washington State. We fuel our funding and other programs for artists through fundraising, partnership, and community engagement. Recognized as a national model for direct funding and professional development for working artists, we have invested over $15 million in individual artists since our founding in 1986. Learn more by visiting www.artisttrust.org.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
Artist Trust is committed to becoming an anti-racist organization, and to working against the systems of racism we have inherited, upheld, and perpetuated. We know we are not there yet. Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) have been systemically oppressed, and we are committed to partnering with them to eradicate white supremacy throughout our organization and to support historically marginalized artists across Washington State. More information about our work towards racial equity can be found here.
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN FROM SEPTEMBER 6 – OCTOBER 6, 2022
Artist Trust invites visual and jewelry artists to submit up to three works to be considered for inclusion in the auction. We are looking for 50 – 60 items to include in next year’s auction. Our aim is to present your best work, and artwork will be juried on the following criteria:
- Quality and originality of the work
- Audience appeal and ability to sell
- Size and weight, for ease of transport and installation (Size limit for 2D work is 48” x 48”)
- Retail value ($200 to $3,000 preferred)
Artists are welcome to submit work outside these parameters – exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Due to installation restrictions and depending on media, there may also be weight restrictions. If your work is selected, the jury would pick just one piece for inclusion, regardless of the number of pieces submitted.
2D work must be framed, when appropriate, or otherwise accompanied with the appropriate hanging hardware. We understand and appreciate that framing is an added expense and encourage artists to include the value of this service in the retail value of the submitted piece. Please keep in mind that accepted work will need to be dropped off at the Artist Trust office in Capitol Hill, Seattle in January 2023. Should you want or need to ship your work, Artist Trust is unable to reimburse you for shipping expenses.
Our annual jury consists of accomplished artists, collectors, gallerists, and curators. The 2023 Benefit Art Auction jurors will be announced soon!
BENEFITS FOR DONATING ARTISTS
- A 50% commission for sold work
- Free admission to all auction events and a discounted guest ticket
- A complimentary one-year Artist Trust Membership
- Artwork, bio, and website highly visible to the auction jury, on the auction website, and to an auction audience of 500+ collectors, arts professionals, nonprofit leaders, and artist peers
- Selected works featured in social media, email promotion, and guided curator tour
- Infinite gratitude from Artist Trust’s staff and board!
- October 6, 2022 | Submission deadline
- Week of October 24, 2022 | Jury meets
- Week of October 31, 2022 | Selection notifications sent to artists
- End of January 2023 | Artwork drop-off
- March 2, 2023 |Auction opens; kick-off event TBA
- March 19, 2023 | Auction closes; closing event TBA
Contact Justine Deacon (she/her), Annual Giving & Events Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Submittable at help.submittable.com
- with website access issues
- for questions about uploading or formatting images
- with other technical support needs
Thank you for your support!