2018 Grants for Artist Projects (GAP)
Due June 25, 2018 at 11:59PM PST
Artist Trust’s Grants for Artist Projects (GAP) Awards are project-based grants of $1,500 open to Washington State artists of any discipline. GAP Awards provide support for artist projects, including the development, completion, or presentation of new work. Funding may be used for artist fees, materials, equipment, space rental, travel for research, documentation, professional development opportunities, marketing & promotion, and many other needs related to your project. In 2018, Artist Trust (AT) will award 61 GAP Awards. In addition to funding, up to 4 Media or Performance artists will be awarded an evening to show their work at The Neptune Theatre in Seattle, WA as part of the Seattle Theater Group Nights at the Neptune summer series.
Artists of color, rural artists, and artists working in emerging fields and heritage arts, such as social practice artists, interdisciplinary artists, traditional artists, and culture bearers, are strongly encouraged to apply. See Tips & Hints (page 4) for support with your application.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
The 2018 GAP Awards are open to artists and artist teams residing in Washington State working in all disciplines.
APPLICANTS MUST BE:
• 18 years of age or older;
• Washington State residents at the time of both application and payment (payment will be made in the Fall of 2018);
• Generative artists: those who are the originators of works of art, OR artist teams with documented history of creating and presenting work as a team for at least three consecutive years.
APPLICANTS MAY NOT BE:
• A recipient of an AT GAP or Fellowship from 2013–2017; or recipient of three GAPs total in a lifetime;
• Recipients of more than one AT grant per calendar year;
• Previous recipients of AT’s James W. Ray Distinguished Artist or Arts Innovator Awards;
• Graduate or undergraduate matriculated students enrolled in any degree program at the deadline date of June 25, 2018;
• Current AT staff, Board of Trustees, honorary committee, consultants, contractors, current GAP panelists, or their immediate family.
Office Hours: one-on-one consultations with our staff, provided in-person or over the phone. Make an appointment:
- Office Hours / Tacoma - 5/17/2018, 4-7pm @ Alma Mater Tacoma
- Office Hours / By Phone - 5/29/2018, 1-3pm (for artists living outside of King County)
- Office Hours / Seattle - 6/1/2018, 9am-12pm @ Artist Trust or by phone
- Office Hours / Spokane - 6/6/2018, 4-7pm @ Spokane Public Library
- Office Hours / Seattle - 6/12/2018, 12-3pm @ Artist Trust or by phone
Preliminary Application Review: submit a draft application through Submittable by June 4, 2018 and request preliminary review. Our staff will review your application and provide detailed feedback by June 15, 2018. The application is then opened for editing and must be resubmitted by the final deadline.
Resources: download the 2018 GAP Reference Guide, which includes examples of successful grant applications and other information.
Webinar: watch a webinar about the 2018 GAP application process.
- Applying for a 2018 GAP / Webinar - 5/30/2018, 12-1pm, online
Workshops: AT offers workshops on topics related to grantwriting and the business aspects of your career. Workshops that may help you in preparing your GAP application are below, other offerings are listed at artisttrust.org.
- Art Business Night School: Applying for Grants, Residencies, & Other Opportunities / Seattle - 6-week program starting 4/25/2018 - SOLD OUT, email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waitlist
- How to Apply for an Artist Grant / Tacoma - 5/5/2018, 11am-1pm @ Main Branch of the Tacoma Public Library, featuring local artists Jasmine Brown, RYAN! Feddersen, Melinda Raebyne, and Jason Skipper
- Artist Biographies & Resumes / Bellingham - 5/12/2018, 1-3pm @ Allied Arts of Whatcom County
- How to Apply for an Artist Grant / Spokane - 5/12/2018, 1-3pm @ Community Building, in collaboration with Spokane Arts
- How to Apply for an Artist Grant / Auburn - 5/16/2018 6-8pm @ Auburn Community & Event Center
- How to Apply for an Artist Grant / Ellensburg - 5/19/2018, 11am-1pm @ Gallery One, featuring local artist Renee Adams
- Photographing Your Artwork / Spokane - 5/20/2018 1-4pm @ Richmond Art Collective, led by local artists Jenny Hyde and Laree Weaver
- How to Apply for an Artist Grant / Kirkland - 5/22/2018, 6-8pm @ Kirkland Arts Center
- Work Sample Do's and Don'ts / Columbia City - 6/14/2018, 6-7:30pm @ TypeSet Writers' Workspace
Contact Artist Trust:
- with questions about application requirements, guidelines, eligibility, etc.;
- for any accessibility accommodations needed for you to complete the application;
- if you need to access or edit a submitted application if it is still prior to the deadline of June 25, 2018.
Monday–Friday: 8:30am–5:00pm PST
Brian McGuigan // Program Director
email@example.com : 206/467-8734 x23
Katy Hannigan // Program Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org: 206/467-8734 x25
Zach Frimmel // Program Coordinator
email@example.com: 206/467-8734 x20
- with website access issues;
- for questions about uploading or formatting images;
- with other technical support needs.